Old 12-23-08, 09:01 PM
Litespeedlouie

Bikes: Litespeed, O'Brien, Specialized, Fuji

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I have four good quality mikes w/stands. etc. However, I guess one would need a mixing board of some sort, as I doubt many computers have four input jacks. Or am I missing something?
Most computer recordists use a recording interface box that digitizes the microphones and sends each one to a separate track in the computer over the USB or Firewire computer port. The mixing is done on the computer, as in Garageband. If you mix all mikes to stereo in the analog domain with a mixer, then a similar interface is used to digitize the 2 channels and input them into the computer. What mics do you have?

There are many factors to consider. If you go the multitrack route, usually the recording is done in a dead room, and reverberation is added electronically. If you record the group performing "live", you need a good room, with acoustics that complements the style of music. Sometimes electronic reverb is added to this, too, but the original acoustics can't be taken out. You need good microphones, but also good mic preamplifiers and good analog-to-digital converters. Good examples of these are not cheap, although workable examples for many people can be affordable, in the hundreds of $ instead of thousands. You need to know how many microphones to use, and where to place them, which is not always obvious.

If you ask around from similar singing groups and listen to their recordings, you can likely find a few engineers who might fit your style and budget. Not unlike trying to find a good bike mechanic or fitter. If you want to give it hand yourself, it may be great fun and a learning experience, but I think it unlikely you'll get great results.