View Single Post
Old 12-25-08, 10:24 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few years ago I bought a Tascam 788 for about $800, plus a CD drive/burner for another $200. It's a great machine. It records 8 tracks digitally. You can bounce tracks many times with no loss of quality. It has many, many virtual tracks (I can't remember how many) so you can really record unlimited numbers of tracks, then mix them down to eight, then master them to two. It has lots of effects, like reverb, compression, etc. I bought a couple of pretty good condenser mics and have used the whole setup to record my elementary school choir. We put out CD's every year. The kids get a cheap souvenir, and we make a buck or two off each one to go into our new equipment fund.

Now the same rig is going for much cheaper on Ebay and there are other similar setups, brand new, at any music store. Tascam now has a similar digital recorder, only with 24 tracks, built-in CD recorder, and updated capabilities for about the same price as my old 788.

On a whole other topic, there are also lots of choices for doing quality recordings with your PC, some not too expensive.

I'm just saying that, if you like technology and toys you might consider buying a little equipment and doing your own recording. These days it's not that hard. What I would have given to have had access to this stuff 30 years ago when I was a professional musician.