Old 06-08-02, 04:31 PM
fietser_ivana

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would you know that I forgot one crash:
September 2001

Was cycle touring the 100 mtn pass route in France. On my umpteenth pass, I noticed that my brakes no longer functioned.
I had worn out a pair of Koolstop brake pads and had them replaced a couple of days before.
However, it started raining a bit and I was descending a 10% grade pass with lots of hair pins...
This was one of the scariest crashes actually as I saw it coming from afar... I didn't know what to do, just froze.. rather than leaning the bike in such an angle that I'd crash no matter what..
Instead I managed 2 hair pins and then could no longer hold the bike, which crashed into an earthen wall.
With bloodshot eyes (a twig had hurt my eye) I continued, partly walking, partly cycling.. my bike seemed ok.
The worst part was that the next place to stay was already full, so I had to cycle another half an hour before reaching another hotel (this was the only hotel I stayed in during the entire trip.. the other nights were all either with acquaintances, in a youth hostel or in my tent).
The damage only showed 7 months later, when I was casually told by a bike mechanic that the down tube of the frame had a slight bulge and would break in a few months/years.. :confused:

Um, am going on a 3 mo. trip first, but will have the frame replaced in 2003.

Ivana