View Single Post
Old 12-28-08, 07:45 PM
darkfinger
That's disgusting!

Bikes: 2007 Giant TCR, Frankenbike Mtn. bike that I built to my own spec., 1987 Peugot PB 16 fixed gear conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by InfiniteRegress
These are how some of the the best impromptu bike commuting races are born. A guy did this to me one day while I was biking down NJ Ave NW in DC on my way to work. It was an early summer morning and the sun was rising, casting the Capitol building that was just in front of us in an eerie orange-pink glow. He passed me, slowed down a bit, I caught up to him, he peddled faster. We ended up racing the entire length of New Jersey Ave. It was the best ride in I ever had, even though he beat me to the "finish line" by a good bike-length or two. We shook hands at the end and chatted a bit. He then proceeded to tell me that he was 71, a grandfather several times over, and had been bike commuting to his job on the Hill for nearly 35 years. Even though I had my then-27-year-old butt whipped by a grandfather, I had a smile on my face the entire day.
+1

Last spring I was riding home from work on my new TCR and at about 5kms into the ride I noticed someone on my wheel. It was this 60ish guy on some beater mtb. He drafted me for a couple of clicks, then out of nowhere flew past me like I was standing still. "No f-ing way!" I thought to myself as I spun up to catch him. We raced for a few kms, and I managed to pass him, but I thought I was going to puke a lung out.
When it came time for me to turn off the main drag and onto my street I had to stop as there was a stoplight. he pulled up next to me and asked if this was where I had to turn off. I gasped out a "yes" and he said "too bad, that was a lot of fun."
He wasn't even breathing heavily. That was when I realized that he could have shelled me at any time during the ride but enjoyed the friendly competition.

Impromptu bike races are ssssooooo much fun!