View Single Post
Old 12-28-08, 10:42 PM
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider
I was out riding today and came to a 4-way stop intersection. There were two cars ahead of me in the lane with their right turn signals on. Since there was no bike lane and I am going straight, not turning, I get in line behind car #2.

The first car turns and car #2 moves up to the line and doesn't go. I look up and see the passenger in the side mirror motioning me to go ahead of them. I shake my head no. There is cross traffic and car #2 is a boxy Scion that would pretty much hide me from the cross traffic until I got into the intersection. The passenger motions again, and I say "Just go!". The driver then guns the car around the corner and honks her horn at me.

This type of thing has happened to me on several occasions. I know the drivers think they're being nice, but in reality they make things more dangerous for the cyclist. That driver now probably has a bad feeling about cyclists, since I didn't appreciate her being "nice".

Anyone else have this happen?
Yeah. My mom even does this. I had to educate her about it.

Put your foot down, look at the driver, when they motion you to go, shake your head, motion them to go, and then once everything is sorted out, ride away. Never sacrifice your safety to make some one else think they did something nice for you.