View Single Post
Old 12-29-08, 10:52 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stomppow
So far I've been lucky, (cross fingers) , and I have an internal geared hub WITH a drum brake, it would be a hassle to change the rear.

I asked my mechanic friend if he had any tricks, and he gave me the smartest tip I've ever heard:

- drill a 2nd valve hole in your rear rim
- insert two tubes, only pump up the outside one.
- if you get a flat, just pump up the inside one (or even just carry a CO2 canister with you! 30 second fix) and ride home, then fix things up properly
Wow, would've never occurred to me in a million years. My commuters have 28 & 25mm SMPs, except the one w/Nuteck airless. This merits serious consideration/investigation. One would think the inside tube would have to be be smaller the the outside tube. And maybe a presta/presta valve combo to save on material removal from the rim. I'm going to run this one by my cycling/mechanical genius buddy and see what he thinks. May be a keeper for winter commuting. Thanks for posting it. Either way a Topeak Road Morph w/gauge would be the pump of choice. Got a feeling there's going to be alot of commentary both pro and con.