View Single Post
Old 12-30-08, 11:32 PM
RogerTully

Bikes: Monfoose Tyax MTB, Optima Lynxx Recumbent, TW Bents trailer.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cold Weather Clothing Requirements

I'm a tropical touring treadler. My rig is a Lynxx Recumbent with a one wheeled trailer. I have a 3 seasons tent, a thermarest mat, light sleeping bag, a reliable trangier stove, a load of spares and tools, I can carry 12l of water and as much tucker as I need for a few days. I live near Cairns so cold weather is never an issue. My biggest problem is sunburn and overheating. I solve these problems by covering up with light long sleeved gear and taking plenty of hydration breaks.
I have decided to ride / camp unsupported to Sydney to arrive there in early July 2010 for a celebration. I intend to go inland to Hughenden in May 2010 then proceed south to Winton, Longreach, Barcaldine, Charleville, Bourke, Dubbo, Bathurst, Katoomba, to Penrith at which point I may find that I've had enough cycling for a time. After some research, the Bureau of Meteorology has informed me that the mean July temps for the Blue Mts are 11.2*C max and 0.5*C min. The mean av June temp for Bourke is 18.5*C max and 5.9*C min. Bugger! My home May temps are27*C max and 17.5*C. I haven't travelled south much so I don't have any warm gear.
Has anybody out there done this trip before at this time of year?
What clothing am I going to need?
Where can I get what you suggest?
rt