View Single Post
Old 06-09-02, 05:29 PM
joshe236

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry if this one is long.

My worst accident happened in January this year. At Oleta Park in Miami, FLorida, they opened up a new trail, it was a downhilling one. There was one part of the hill that went down about 50 ft. like at 45 degree angle, at the bottom of the hill it went back up about 7 ft. where people could get "air". Where the hill went back up there is on the right a little lip, which adds about half a foot. All during winter my friends and I would do nothing but practice getting air on this lip. One sunday, there was a lot of people there, a lot of bikers too, they were all getting massive air, 5 ft, etc. So I guess I got a little bit cocky, and when I went down my 3rd time, ( Peddling as hard as I can), made up over the lip, got massive air, (They said I got at least 5 ft.) The bike was perfect until the landing.
I landed on my back wheel first then my first, but my front shock bottomed out, I lost my chain, my front wheel made a little hole in the ground, and I start skidding all the way from the left to the right, off the side of the hill. The right side of my body is skidding while my bike was on my left, as I skidded down the side of the hill, which was full of rocks. I finally came to a stop hitting a log on the ground. I pushed my bike off me, and I got up, I was so confused I didn't notice the damage I took. I walked over to a bench and sat down, I noticed my right elbow was bleeding like crazy. Threw my ice-cold camelbak onto it, hurting soo much. After a couple of minutes, I picked up damaged bike and just rode to the parking lot, thank god it wasn't that far away. Called my parents and they came 5 mins later, My dad as wound care expert quickly took a hose and watered down my elbow. That was the end of that accident.

My total damage was: A big gash on my elbow about 6 inches all the way around, couple of slashed on my shoulder and on my arse. Couldn't go biking or use my right arm for 3 1/2 months. The major damage to my bike, was the front shock (RST 281R). My bike is a Mongoose MGX GRX 6.5.
Now whenever I go bike riding, I wear full body armor. and that's my story. Sorry if it was long....