Old 12-31-08, 03:26 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
I'm back

The clicking noise was indeed the left pedal which needed to be tightened to the crank some more. The right one was plenty tight from the factory. So that noise is gone. The only other noise I detect is a intermittent "scraping" sound, and I think it's the plastic chainguard that rubs the chain when it rotates to a certain point. I'll take care of that as well.

The price makes this bike very accessible for "customization". I've got the money, but maybe I need to hold off that idea until I return to work, and have a regular income again

The gearing is low, but the funny part of all this is that there are really no hills where I live (Orlando, Florida). It's just nice to be able to pedal at a casual pace, with little effort

I will try that idea of yours, and use alcohol on the seatpost, and the shim to see if that works. You see it is critical that I have that seat up as high as safely possible because it's a bit on the short side, and my knees require nearly full extension of my legs. If not, my knees begin to ache, and the pedaling effort increases quite a bit.

My comment "Raleigh Twenty...eat your heart out!" was of course "tongue in cheek" The "Twenty" has a "ferocious" following, and I can understand why. Non the less, I think the Flying Pigeon M-3 has a good base to do a lot of things to it, but it does not have the "legacy" that the "Twenty" has. It's all perception I guess

Now here are a few photos I took while on my second ride an hour ago.

This side view of the Pigeon was taken on the bike trail that runs along Lake Susanna here in Orlando. That's the lake where the place that I live is. Notice the height of the saddle. It should be right at the height of the handlebar.

Rear view of the bike in the same location.

This was taken on another lake front, right off the trail.

Front view

Well I just remembered that I better go to the store quickly before they close to observe New Year's eve. Looking forward to continued participation in this cool forum

Edward

Originally Posted by EvilV
I've bought a number of bikes that have clicks - most actually. I always have to go over them and check things are properly fastened up. The price of that 'bird' makes it perfectly possible to buy another to mess about with. At $120 it is pretty cheap, isn't it? Especially since you like it so much. The gearing does seem very low - but great if you live in a hilly area. I find the odd hill in my town where the 56" gear ratio of my slo makes it a bit hard, but mostly I can cope.

About the sliding seat post. My Merc brompton knock off used to do that and still will if the QR isn't like yours. I wiped off the lubricant film with an alcohol wipe and that helped keep it where t was supposed to be.

As for R20 'eat your heart out' - I've seen many old R20s that were just about respectably tidy and they went on ebay for nearly what you paid for a new bike. Maybe they have more potential in the end, but you do have to sort them out. I bought a really tatty one a few weeks ago for £15. It was very cheap and will need a lot of work, but it will keep me out of mischief for a while.