View Single Post
Old 12-29-04, 10:02 AM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A far as the fixed fork vs suspension fork. You have to decide which way you want to go, unfortunately. I bought a hybrid 7200FX because I was trying to get the best of both worlds. A week later I went in and returned it for a 1000 (road bike) and I'm much happier. To boot, I have my g/f's 7200 (with suspension) and that is the bike I would buy if I just wanted to ride around my neighboorhood and city bike paths/packed dirt paths. The 7200 with suspension (i.e. not the FX) is very smooth. My g/f LOVES it and so do I for recreational rides. I figured I'd rather have a new 1000 and pick up a used 7200 or similar rather than new 7200 and used road bike since my priorities are training for a few charity rides.

No matter what you do - ride a BUNCH of bikes when you visit your LBS. Ride some that are out of your price range, as well. It will give you an appreciation for what you're buying and what the difference in cost gets you. Remember to pick up the bike, too. Ride the beach type ones, the comforts, the hybrids, and a road bike while you're at it. I think the most important thing is to get one that you like and one that feels good or else you won't ride it as much as you otherwise would have.