Old 01-04-09, 04:20 PM
billydonn
Council of the Elders

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Crosscut, 5 Lemonds

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My Neck of the Woods- Episode 4 "A Ride in the Murk and Gloom" (pics)

With sleet and ice predicted for the afternoon, I took the five-minute drive to the MUP late yesterday AM to get in some quick miles. Heading north into the City (into a mild headwind) from my usual starting point, the complete out and back would be about 16 miles- just what I wanted. It was 36 degrees, very gray, and misting when I took off, but kind of tranquil too as the MUP was almost completely deserted. Just under two miles out I made a major mistake and spaced off an ice patch that was shaded on the north side of an overpass. It was about 30-40 feet across it and there was nothing to do but hold on and curse! I nearly made it across the mini-glacier but my front tire finally caught in a frozen rut left by a previous rider.... and it was over in a flash. A brief post-crash examination (see pics) revealed no serious damage to organic or mechanical parts, although my pride was somwhat shaken! Anyhow, the rest of the ride was uneventful. The wind and rain picked up on the ride back south and my feet and hands were wet and cold by the end or my ride. It was good to be headed home to get warm and dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_5090.jpg (84.2 KB, 47 views)
IMG_5091.jpg (83.4 KB, 31 views)
IMG_5092.jpg (85.5 KB, 39 views)
IMG_5089.jpg (100.1 KB, 26 views)
IMG_5086.jpg (98.4 KB, 25 views)