View Single Post
Old 01-05-09, 09:04 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
^ True. The CTS approach to this is a bit different. Power starts (10-20 second maximal efforts in a big gear from a dead stop) are done with rest, and designed to develop muscle strength.

Speed intervals, (also short efforts, 15-30 seconds, at higher speed and rpm) are done on short rest to develop recovery, such as 15 seconds on, 15 seconds off, or 30 on 30 off.

Your drill essentially mixes the two. While there is some efficiency there, I'm not sure it gets the maximal benefit of either drill. Doing the Power Starts on full rest, allows you to really push your muscles, like doing sets of squats. And doing the speed intervals at higher speed higher rpm, allows you to really push the anerobic side.

I'm not sure you can get the muscle development advantage without more recovery, or the recovery, anerobic adaptation at the low rpm.

Of course, I'm endoctrinated in the CTS way and there ae multiple ways to skin a cat. Anything that pushes you is likely to make you stronger.

Last edited by merlinextraligh; 01-05-09 at 09:12 PM.