Old 01-08-09, 11:35 PM
jcm
Gemutlichkeit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Well I sure hope the stuff works; but like gore-tex, I think it will be much ado about nothing. BREATHEABILITY is only one issue when it comes to getting clammy and sweaty during a climb or during a ride. The real issue is that your body is producing sweat far faster than it is capable of evaporating...PERIOD. You could be riding buckass naked and still get a nice layer of sweat all over yourself. Ask any runner who wears a negligee singlet.

The other point is that these breathabilitymaniacs forget is that sweat is ALOT more than water. Sure..water molecules can get thru..but there is alot of other gunk that doesn't. If want to get an idea of how non-watery sweat is, squeeze out your jersey into a 8 oz. glass and take a swig or two.

Finally, in a heavy rainfall, your raingear is convered with a thin layer/laminate of water on the outside, anyway. Guess what. This layer is not breathable.

I have yet to read a favorable review of goretex that by a group that hasn't received a trillion dollars in sponsorship money for some expedition to Katmanastan.

I ride with a yellow rain jacket similar to what your mom sent with ya to Kindergarten. Works fine, is reversible, doubles as a drop cloth, and costs 1/10th of goretex.

roughstuff
Absolutely spot-on.

The only time raingear - and very good raingear at that - has ever worked for me has been in a fishing boat, standing stock-still. Everything else, including GoreTex, is a sauna in minutes. The rate of moisture exuded by a working cyclist cannot be evap'd thru anything fast enough. It's just the way it is.

I put forth the belief that those of you who are saying that this or that is "great" or "is very comfortable" or whatever, are really girls - whom we all know, don't sweat - they glisten. So there!