Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums peachpossumpie.

Originally Posted by peachpossumpie
I am considering biking the 17 miles to work each day instead of driving. I've got an old Trek 830 Antelope someone gave me...
Probably the brakes too, though I'm thinking of putting only the front brake back on.
If you're in good shape you can do it. If not, you can work up to it by taking Cobb County transit (if that's an option) and biking, or riding 2-3 days a week and working up to 5 days.

I'd rethink the front brake only idea. If someone cuts you off and you have to stop in a big hurry, you may go over the handlebars with only front brake to stop you.

Originally Posted by peachpossumpie
Am I crazy to try to commute 17 miles through Cobb County in Atlanta?
Yes.
I was 56 when I started commuting from Decatur to Norcross in 2001-2003, 14 miles each way. I now have a different job and commute from Decatur to Va-Highland area, only 8+ miles one way.
Traffic can be very bad. If you're not used to riding on the road with traffic you may want to take an Effective Cycling class to learn the skills needed. If you want more information about the classes send me a PM.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.