View Single Post
Old 01-12-09, 12:53 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclokitty
I once hiked a hillier than I was use to trail and I managed to tear my calf muscle. My errors were I didn't stretch once I started to feel my calf tightening up on the hike, and I didn't stretch when I was home and resting. I had a series of painful muscle spasms that night and during one of them it was so painful I kicked my leg out and tore the muscle nice and deep. It took 3 months to stop limping and another 3 months before it was healed, and I have to be careful after I exercise because it'll be really sore.

I've added a step routine to my workout but I concentrate more on using my quads rather than using my calves (foot flat on step, not toe on step). I'll do a handful to strengthen my calves but I'm a total sissy about it.
I know I didn't tear anything, but the muscles are pretty tight right now. I did some extra stretching before and after the ride to work, and I took the "flat" route to get here.
I hadn't thought much about technique for a step routine, but if I think about it, I was definitely not putting my whole foot flat on the stair. I had the front half of my foot on the stair, similar to how I would climb a flight of steps.
I'll keep up with the stretching, watch my technique on the step routine, and probably keep up with some Mineral Ice in the evenings.