View Single Post
Old 01-12-09, 06:34 PM
rodrigaj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
I would love to break into the ed biz, but the nearest thing I can find right now is volunteer work with a FIRST robotics competition group at the high school from which my elder son graduated. The upside is that I am having fun working with the students and networking with two of my son's favorite teachers and with a few local industry guys.
Networking and volunteering is good. Believe it or not, once you get certified it is extremely difficult to get a job teaching in a good school district. One thinks that schools would want people with life experiences but that is not so. They are very close minded.

I had to settle for working in a poor school district for my first 5 years. Once that was done, I had no problems finding a better job at a better district. I was an insider, with experience and an in-demand certification. The market was wide open to me.

Still, working for the poor school district beat electrical engineering...the travel, the stress. I now earn less than half the pay, but have twice the fun.