View Single Post
Old 01-13-09, 05:59 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1869 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidW56
MiamiJim's thread "Having a real job sucks", and the responses from posters who work nights got me thinking. What do you all do for a living? My impression has been that most C&V'ers were either old retired coots, or young single adults in college, or young marrieds fresh out of college and in their first apartment (hence all the photos of bikes indoors). I also wonder whether there's a tendency towards certain occupations, such as engineering.

I'll start: I work for an automotive manufacturer's financing arm, supporting mainframe financial systems. In other words, I generally work at a keyboard in a cubicle all day, except for meetings.
One here for engineering. I'm an electrical and systems engineer for an automotive Tier 1 supplier (nearly 15 years), where I mainly design active safety products and work on ISO standards for same. I've also worked on powertrain electronics, that control engines and transmissions. Last job before that was to design the electronics for a large particle detector, similar to what we've been reading about at the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland. B4 THAT I was in teh aerospace industry for about 13 years. I did power electronics, space vehicle power systems design, and reliability/survivability of space vehicle power systems, out in Denver, CO. That was the best job I've had.

I also sing, been singing in choirs since early grade school (now 55). It's not a job, but it's been a lifelong commitment. I married a choir director, and we met in a community chorus.

I went to college all around the Chicago area: Lake Forest College, Northwestern, Chicago City Colleges, and University of Illinois at Chicago Circle. I miss the narrow gear spread, too, even 30 years later.

So I fit a few of those stereotypes.

Road Fan