Recycle

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pegib

Hi all,

I am 70 y/o and not a bicycle rider as I would most likely wreck.
But I am an AmeriCorp VISTA working on a "Bike Tour Committee" for a scholarship program at Shawnee Community College in Southern Illinois.

As a VISTA one of my assignements is to list how many "Baby Boomers" are in attendance. They define the ages as 43 to 61.

My adult children are bicycle riders and have the attached buggy for the little ones.

If anyone could share with me what a good rest stop and a bad rest stop is on a paid bicycle tour is I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Pegib
nancybush08@yahoo.com
Hi Pegib

The bike club I belong has been hosting a ride the Sunday after Easter for 27 years. There are routes of approximately 16, 28, 35, 45, and 65 miles, and it draws 500 to 700 people. ( http://www.folksonspokes.com/easter.html )

All of the routes start and stop at a school which has restroom and lunch facilities. There are three rest stops spaced roughly 20 miles apart. The 16 and 28 mile rides go through 1 rest stop, the 35 and 45 mile rides go through 2 rest stops, and the 65 mile ride goes thru all three rest stops.

All the rest stops are in county parks with restrooms and shelters for shade. There are things to drink like water, coffee, tea, and Gator Aid. Especially, there is plenty of water and GatorAid so riders can refill their water bottles. here are things to munch like veggies, sandwiches, home made veggie chili, and cookies. I wouldn't suggest a lot of real fatty foods.

Each rest stop also has a repair station with mechanics and spare parts provided by different local bike shops. There is continuous SAG support running all the routes and checking in at all the rest stations.

Is that the sort of thing you're looking for?