View Single Post
Old 01-16-09, 10:45 AM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm kind of surprised by the hate on some people have for Lance Armstrong.

Is Lance's ego really that much worse/bigger/more irritating than anyone who has achieved comparable success in their fields?

I know composers who are bigheaded; I know fellow doctors whose successes as surgeons have swelled their egos to fill rooms. Doesn't success take a particular kind of personality, one that bugs the rest of us?

What is "ego"? That he is self-regarding? That he walks over people to attain his goals? That he's a narcissist or solipsist? I don't see these things, except maybe that he's hugely driven.

I started reading LA's twitter postings for the heck of it, because I got curious. I don't see the "ego" there on display being anything other than what a normal hugely successful, driven and motivated athlete displays. As a matter of fact, compared with NBA stars, LA seems genuinely altruistic.

Maybe some of us just have a propensity to hate (or envy) the successful...