Old 01-17-09, 09:57 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
OT: Kid to Kid Information Sharing

I was watching TV this morning and seeing a commercial encouraging kids to get out and play, and offering game suggestions at a website. Yes, the same games that all of us used to know as kids.

It seems that when I was young, that kids had their own body of information that they didn't get from their parents, that they passed along kid to kid. Some of the things that I remember learning from other kids were songs like, "My Gal's a Corker, She's a New Yorker" and "Rubber Dolly". There were games like "Mother May I?" and "Freeze Tag", as well as scientific facts about the dangers of "Black Eyed Susans", places to find minnows to use for fishing, evidence that the Chinese had explored the coast of California.

Some of this seemed very dated, "Rubber Dolly", a WWII song sung by kids in the mid-sixties? Chinese exploring California? only confirmed at the turn of the 21st Century, not in the early '70s.

But seeing the ad to teach kids games that they should have learned from their friends made me wonder, do kids still pass stuff on from kid to kid, or are they so saturated by media that such a learning network has been crushed?

And what did you learn from other kids?

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.