redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
I weighed a 56cm right off the shop floor earlier this year - 34.9 lbs. The thing is a tank.
My Fuji World, with fenders, rack, B17, etc. weighs in at only 28.
I'd rather carry 7 pounds of more stuff than 7 pounds of more bike.
That is a tank. My 20 year old 62cm Nishiki with front and rear racks (rear is Surly Nice rack=heavy), full fenders, generator hub/ full lights, and a Brooks weighs just under 32lbs. Good job Raleigh for TRYING to make a touring bike. I don't know what the price is on the Raleigh, but imagine it is around or a bit more than the Surly LHT. With the Surly you get better parts in many places that count (XT 36h hubs, XT rear derailleur, and a real touring triple crank) for the price that is tour ready just add racks and/or fenders. I think it is good that Surly cheaped out on a few areas (seat, saddle, bars, stem, etc.) since they can keep the cost down and figure most people with have a preferred cockpit of their own they want to put on the complete.

I have a friend that is currently doing a few month long tour to warmer places (now in Texas), and he hasn't had a single problem from his brand new purchased before the trip LHT. Would he have trouble if he bought a Sojourn, yes, at least the wheels for sure. It was his first tour and I know he over packed. His fully loaded bike was close to 100lbs. The 32h wheels of the Raleigh would have not survived.

And earlier in the thread talking about touring with disc brakes. Every disc brake you are going to see on a touring bike with drop bars is going to be cable actuated so there is no need for extra fluid/bleed kit etc. The most I think you would need with touring with disc brakes would be spare pads and a spare rotor or two (or a tool to true one also).

I won't comment about "in the industry".