Old 01-19-09, 08:59 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
There are few different factors affecting the market, quality, fixies and 'want'.

Without getting to deep inot it:

Quality: I recently picked up a 201 GT road bike with shimano Sora STI's and derailleurs. Everything else, EVERYTHING, was no name/generic including the cassette and chain. Back in the 80's and early 90's manufacturers spec'd their bikes with complete groups. Full 105 or Athena or Dura-Ace or Record right down to the BB, headsets and pedals. Without spending a minimum of $1500 thats not going to happen with a modern bike.

A few recent examples we've seen here in C&V would be the near new Paramount with Dura-Ace that was purchased for $600 (similar bikes can foung for $300-ish) and the Peugeot with Reynolds 753 tubing. I recently picked up a mint, almost NOS 1989 Schwinn Tempo with full 105 for $200, the guy I bought it from paid $100 for it. You simply cannot get that kind of quality and level of componentry with a modern bike unless you spend $1500 +.

Fixies: Simply enough horizontal dropouts are needed and most manufacturers stop using them in the late 80's early 90's. whatever number of bike we think are being converted...well, it's its probably 3 or 4 times that.

Want: Alot of use were cyc ling during the 80's and early 90's and couldnt afford our dream bikes. Now that we're older and have jobs we can afford what we couldnt back then. Back in 1985 i was 17 and working in a shop for $6/hr. There's no way I could ever afford a $2,000 road bike!!! Those same bikes are now $300!

Gotta work...will finish this later....

Last edited by miamijim; 01-19-09 at 03:26 PM.