Old 01-19-09, 09:04 AM
JohnnyBee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miamijim
There are few different factors affecting the market, quality, fixies and 'want'.

Without getting to deep inot it:

Quality: I recently picked up a 201 GT road bike with shimano Sora STI's and derailleurs. Everything else, EVERYTHING, was no name/generic including the cassette and chain. Back in the 80's and early 90's manufacturers spec'd their bikes with complete groups. Full 105 or Athena or Dura-Ace or Record right down to the BB, headsets and pedals. Without spending a minimum of $1500 thats not going to happen with a modern bike.

A few recent examples we've seen here in C&V would be the near new Paramount with Dura-Ace that was purchased for $600 (similar bikes can foung for $300-ish) and the Peugeot with Reynolds 753 tubing. I recently picked up a mint, almost NOS 1989 Schwinn Tempo with full 105 for $200, the guy I bought it from paid $100 for it. You simply cannot get that kind of quality and level of componentry with a modern bike unless you spend $1500 +.

Fixies: Simply enough horizontal dropouts are needed and most manufacturers stop using them in the late 80's early 90's. whatever number of bike we think are being converted...well, it's its probably 3 or 4 times that.

Gotta work...will finish this later....

I second that emotion.

Could'na said it any better.

JohnnyBee