View Single Post
Old 01-19-09, 07:34 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 28 Posts
I have two mini pumps, the infamous Wrench Force referred to in the opening thread and a HP Hurricane marketed by Performance. Both perform reasonably well within the limitations of hand held pumps. The Wrench Force has a drawback, it is built for Schrader valves and requires an adaptor to use it on presta valves. When I've tested the pump it works fine, but I have had the rubber gasket in the adaptor fail. That said, I had occaision last year to use the pump when my freind had a flat and his trusty CO2 system failed. The pump performed well except, as has been noted above, getting 110 PSI into a tire with a mini-pump requires a build like the one on D-Gee's avatar. The best my athletic freind could accomplish was around 80-90 PSI. That was enough to nurse our way to the end of the ride. Not being of Hurculean build, I doubt I could get more than 70 PSI into a tire. I'm leaning toward carrying a CO2 system next year. If I do, you can be sure I will test it before I ride with it.