Old 01-21-09, 08:36 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I would suggest that you don't automatically assume that a "semi-upright position" is desirable. If you are very comfortable riding in a more aggressive road bike like posture that may be the best answer for you. I definitely find that to me the case for me. I would say that whatever setup you find most comfortable on long days rides is the best. For me, my road bike with the bars 5" below the saddle is supremely comfortable on century rides so I mimic that position on tour. It has worked out well for me on everything from day rides to a 73 day tour.

The aggressive posture assumes that you need to have good core strength and carry a lot of your weight on your legs, otherwise too much weight will be on your hands. Done properly your elbows are bent and your hands rest lightly on the bars. Not everyone seems to be able to pull it off.

I think that there is potential for more saddle discomfort and lower back pain with the bars up too high and would at least avoid having bars much higher than an inch below the saddle.

I am not knocking the semi-upright riding position, it works well for some riders. Just don't assume it is the best just because you are touring.
Just curious, I've been playing around with my saddle and bar drop. I'm have a 3" drop in my bars now and it did get more comfortable. How long are your arms that you could drop your bars that much? I don't want to get to low because of neck pain. I've seen pictures of people on the RAAM and other long distance riders and some of them dropped out because of neck pain. I would like to get more weight off my arms, but I'm afraid of the neck pain then.