View Single Post
Old 01-22-09, 07:04 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
The Grand Prix was ten or twenty bucks more expensive than the Record, the main difference that I can remember was that the GP had quick release wheels, and maybe one or two other parts were a little higher quality, maybe Weinmann brakes instead of Altenburgers or something like that; but the frames were basically of the same quality except for some details as redneckwes mentioned. It is strange, now that I think about it, that such similar bikes had different frames; I wouldn't really think of the Grand Prix frame as a higher quality one than the Record.

So to answer your question, the Grand Prix was higher up the food chain thirty years ago; but only slightly so. Which one is more desirable today would come down to condition. So if you're only looking at a frame & fork, I would consider it an upgrade only if you see some obvious reason to prefer one over the other; better paint, better color, better condition, more attractive lugs, etc.

For a noticeably better frame on a Raleigh of that period you have to move up to the Super Course or higher still something with a "531" or at least a "Carlton" decal on the seat tube.