View Single Post
Old 01-22-09, 11:22 PM
rodtermaat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding Bike Shops

I travel some and I like to visit bike shops if possible. Problem is that they are difficult to find on the web. I have no trouble finding a LBS, but I am looking for something unique or unusual. I like folders and am most interested in using bikes as transportation and not so much as recreation. I plan to explore the bike bus concept this year, but need a folder since our buses have no bike racks.

1. Calhoun's in Minneapolis Mn
...Recumbents and folders (Swift, Dahon, and Bromptons)
...bought my son a Swift

2. Trophy Bikes in Phili
...Carries Brompton, Bike Friday, Carry Me, Strida. Also some nice high end accessories
...almost bought a Brompton, but ran out of time

3. Via Bicycles in Phili
...Old and recycled bikes, couple of twenty's that where not for sale, couple of Moultons, some french folders
...If you like old this is a mecca

4. Salvagetti in Denver
...No folders, but still cool and the first shop I found while traveling
...Mechanic had a full mowhalk going on a Tuesday morning (that's a lot of prep time)

5. San Antonio
...Not that I could find and I have looked several times
...I did find a fun roady shop with lots of old guys in lycra - somewhat disturbing

6. Clever Cycles in Portland
...Brompton, Cargo bikes, and other Dutch style bikes, Lots of cool trinkets
...Road a Bakfeit and wanted to buy, but shipping was $500 back to Nebraska
...They suggested I buy it and ride it home - they where serious (I am a fat IT guy and would have been dead before I left Oregon)

?. San Diego
Could use some help here. I will be staying at some foo foo hotel at some Marina, but I can always catch a bus or cab. I will be here the 3rd week of Feb for the entire week. Any shops worth the trip?

I still want to buy a folder so I can do more then just lurk here. Right now I am more concerned with portability and travel ease which make those Japanese micro bikes appealing - just can not seem to acquire/locate one yet. Carry me is appealing, but I have not decided to open the wallet on one yet.