Old 01-25-09, 12:34 PM
daintonj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What to do with a partially worn out bike?

My MTB is on it's last legs so I stripped it down today to see exactly what needs to be done.

I'm now at the point where I can't work out which is the most cost effective/enjoyable option.

1) Fix only the broken components and mate them up with the current working components.
2) Replace the broken components and replace the old but functional components.
3) Buy a secondhand bike.
4) Buy a new bike

The bike is a 1998 Specialized Hardrock so it's hardly a modern frame with great components.
7spd drivetrain, v-brakes, square taper bb

Due to a crash and some heavy handling by me it has a new rear wheel (Mavic 721 laced to a LX hub) and a new fork (Rockshox Dart 3) and a new headset (cheap).

The following parts are broken
Crankset - Big ring is bent, middle ring wobbles.
Bottom Bracket - Grinds rather than spins.
Rear Mech - Cage has exploded
Cassette - Worn to pieces and keeps skipping
Chain - Worn to pieces and keeps skipping
Plus the replacement of gear and brake cables w/associated housings.

If I'm going to the trouble of replacing so much on the bike I'm thinking that I may as well switch to 9spd and replace the shifters at the same time.

Also can I replace the bb with something a bit more modern as square taper cranksets aren't as available? I don't want to switch to an external BB as I'd need to get the frame faced.

If I was going to replace the entire groupset I was thinking of SRAM X.7 as it seems a good compromise between price and performance.

Rough prices seem to be around £120 to keep it at 7spd and £200 to switch to 9spd with all new drivetrain. But is it really worth spending the money to update an old frame when I could buy a merlin Malt 1 frame for £80.

I really don't know what to do with this one.