View Single Post
Old 01-25-09, 09:28 PM
Ricky in Jersey

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Pigeons first 100 miles....

I officially went over 100 miles on my Pigeon this weekend. For my original $105 investment I could not be happier.

Just a short recap...

Modification were made removing the fenders and the back rack. I decided to keep the 350 mil seatpost even though it is a little short. I corrected this by placing the seatpost an inch over the highest recommended height, as well as using a gel seat cover. There have been no ill effects riding with the seatpost at this height, but I would not reccommend it. I also had a little problem with the gel seat slipping around on me a little while I was riding. I corrected this by the old "tried and true" method of placing and stretching a black dress sock over the seat. This trick worked to perfection, with no more slippage!

I tweeked the adjustments this weekend to both sets of brakes as well as the six speed gear system to account for the normal stretching of the cables. Very simple! This is another of the reasons that I love the Pigeon, it's relative simple design and ease to work on.

The past couple of weeks that I have had the FP, the weather has been harsh and cold. I usually ride after work, and the temperature has rarely exceeded freezing. This past Friday, for New Jersey standards in January, the weather was outstanding. Temps approaching 50 degrees, with little wind. I put about 20 miles on the bike. There were many "Sunny-Weather" biker's out on the local bike trails on Friday. I was stopped no fewer than 3 times by curious fellow bicyclist's inquiring about my bike. One gentlemen was somewhat mocking my bike, so I good naturely challanged him to a quarter mile race. He declined, and I felt vindicated.

If your keeping score...

Flying Pigeon 1
Schwinn Hybrid 0