Old 01-25-09, 11:03 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Ricky,

Congrats on reaching the 100 mile mark on your Pigeon. Way to go Ricky!

I have an almost new Bell F-20 cyclometer in one of my drawers, but have yet to install it on my Pigeon. It's like I don't want to spoil the simple, and clean looks of the bike with an additional wire coming down one of the brake cables. If I ever do decide to use a cyclometer, I will have to go wireless like you did.

In addition, I haven't mounted a handlebar bag, or a seat wedge bag, or any water bottle cages. Again, I like to keep the bike simple. When I rode my bike on Friday, and Saturday to take all those pictures, I used a "fanny pack" to carry my tools, a tire repair kit, a small tire pump, plus two water bottles that fit in the side pockets made for them. I initially had my digital camera in there too, but quickly decided that it was more convenient to put it in my pocket since I was stopping quite frequently to take pictures.

I think I paid something like $12 for that fanny pack at K-Mart. In fact, I went ahead and took a photo to show it here:

It's very convenient.

Well soon we will have a third FP owner, and I am looking forward to her impressions.

Regards,
Ed

Originally Posted by Ricky in Jersey
I officially went over 100 miles on my Pigeon this weekend. For my original $105 investment I could not be happier.

Just a short recap...

Modification were made removing the fenders and the back rack. I decided to keep the 350 mil seatpost even though it is a little short. I corrected this by placing the seatpost an inch over the highest recommended height, as well as using a gel seat cover. There have been no ill effects riding with the seatpost at this height, but I would not reccommend it. I also had a little problem with the gel seat slipping around on me a little while I was riding. I corrected this by the old "tried and true" method of placing and stretching a black dress sock over the seat. This trick worked to perfection, with no more slippage!

I tweeked the adjustments this weekend to both sets of brakes as well as the six speed gear system to account for the normal stretching of the cables. Very simple! This is another of the reasons that I love the Pigeon, it's relative simple design and ease to work on.

The past couple of weeks that I have had the FP, the weather has been harsh and cold. I usually ride after work, and the temperature has rarely exceeded freezing. This past Friday, for New Jersey standards in January, the weather was outstanding. Temps approaching 50 degrees, with little wind. I put about 20 miles on the bike. There were many "Sunny-Weather" biker's out on the local bike trails on Friday. I was stopped no fewer than 3 times by curious fellow bicyclist's inquiring about my bike. One gentlemen was somewhat mocking my bike, so I good naturely challanged him to a quarter mile race. He declined, and I felt vindicated.

If your keeping score...

Flying Pigeon 1
Schwinn Hybrid 0

Last edited by edwong3; 01-25-09 at 11:24 PM.