View Single Post
Old 01-27-09, 11:28 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Rich as I am sure you remember there was always a Sat and Sun morning road ride that left from Rec Hall...in 2003 when Wheelworks opened they told those riders the rides now started from Wheelworks...then the Sun ride folded...and the Sat ride turned into what I went to...a buddy ride and if you aren't someone's buddy they could give a rats ass about you.

I am hoping the local road scene comes back together and drops the attitude that was prevalent at Wheelworks.
When I was on the team in the early 90's, the norm was weekday rides from Rec Hall at 3:00, and weekend rides from there at noon. It was awesome. There were about 40 - 60 rabid bike geeks who lived within a 2 mile radius, and who could design their "work" (class) schedules to accommodate the group rides. You never had to ride alone unless you wanted to. Combine that with the great riding around State College, and it sets the stage for some epic riding. I have said that I'd never find a USCF club that combined all of those great attributes. It seems like the club has been a little bit less active since then, but I hope they keep things going. Now if I can just regain my fitness from my late teens / early 20's...