woody86
Cycle-noob

Bikes: 1975 Viscount Gran Touring, Trek 4300, Huffy Tremor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
It's possible that the bottom bracket is the peculiar sealed bearing one that I've seen on most Viscounts. If so, you need to replace those cartridge bearings, but they are only $5 a pop at loosescrews.com or at a bearing shop.
Thanks for the insight and the website. Yeah it's getting all new bearings, grease, cables, handlebar tape, and whatever else pops up

Originally Posted by mkeller234
Thats the thing that really stinks about bottom brackets, so many specialty tools... I think the biggest money saver for me has been buying a large tub of grease. I had been buying the tiny bottles of phil wood grease for a small fortune per tube, then I got a large tub of Park grease. The park grease was about 10 dollars and I still have tons left.
Yeah, I know I'm going to wind up paying a pretty penny for some materials/tools now, but I'm hoping to get my money out of them in the future. Thanks for the advice on the grease

Originally Posted by FreddyV
Looks pretty cool. Love the bright yellow Though, do I spot some rust pits in the chrome? Try to put a new black layer of ducktape around the rear fork. Should look better than the current half-black/half-yellow combo.
Edit: Thank you sir!! I just took a closer look at that black tape thing. I thought it was put on by Viscount, but I noticed a small bump under it, and decided to pull back the tape (with my fingers crossed!) Lo and behold, it was just stuck on by someone! And there was another decal under there that I'm guessing hasn't seen daylight since the 70's! It's nice and bright, and the paint looks great under it too. It wasn't just some kind of duct/electrical tape though, it was some kind of heavier, stiffer plastic. Thanks again, I don't know if I would have given that a second thought!

Last edited by woody86; 01-28-09 at 05:03 AM.