View Single Post
Old 01-29-09, 02:04 PM
tete_eteinte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reliable, Rebuildable Floor Pump Needed!

Hey everyone,

I've been riding around New York for about a week without any spare tubes on me and without a floor pump in my apartment. No flats yet, but I'm afraid my luck will run out soon. The tubes are the easy part; what's really got me stumped is trying to figure out what kind of floor pump is worth any amount of money.

I'm looking for something heavy-duty and user serviceable--if necessary--and though Silca keeps popping up in all of my searches, it seems to have garnered a dubious reputation around here (and elsewhere)... are they really as temperamental as some posts/reviews would have it? Has quality taken a dive in recent years, or is this just a matter of regular preventative maintenance neglected by some and attended to by others? Pista vs. Superpista arguments?

The SKS Rennkompressor caught my eye and I've found less negative feedback on it (maybe because it's more obscure in the States?) but I'm having trouble finding a US retailer; I found one "bikemania.biz" though I'm wondering if anyone's ever dealt with them. Trustworthy? Reliable? Scam?

It's wonderful riding over glass and nails and gravel and who knows what else on my daily commute.

Help!

(Oh, and thanks, too!)