Old 01-29-09, 09:42 PM
treebound 
aka: Mike J.

Bikes: 1995 Trek 520 is the current primary bike.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 39 Posts
Are tires noted/marketed as randonneur tires anything special compared to other tires, what sets them apart? I ran a search on ebay for randonneur and came up with some Vittoria tires with randonneur in their name. Are they just durable, flat resistant, do they have better rolling economy as opposed to stickier cornering, do they have better wet weather traction, what? This is just one of the questions when I look into randonneuring. Well, that and why couldn't they call it something with less letters in the name like audax.

Off and on over the years I've given thought to completing a series. The nearest series here in Wisconsin starts in the southern part of the state and heads west out towards Madison then back east to Lake Michigan, then back to the starting point for the longer distance. That's a long ways.

I've been thinking I might set up the World Voyager as a rando bike, seems like it could be well suited to it. Found an original 1973 World Voyager handlebar currently on ebay, got it bookmarked but may pass on it.

I kind of see randonneuring as a long ride or pseudo-tour without a lot of baggage, close to credit card touring but without sight seeing as a primary motivator. Where the ride for the sake of the ride is the primary motivator. Could be wrong, if there is a wrong, but maybe kind of sort of close as well.

Sitting here web surfing in front of the tv and channel surfing a bit as well, came across SoundStage on one of the PBS stations and BBKing is playing. I think I'll just stop this post here, sit back, relax, and head down to the Long Distance section of the site and lurk a bit.....