In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeguy
Yikes Machka!
Fenders handle the typical snow/dirt slop of MN winters. Still makes the bike an utter mess though.
What type of Canadian sludge are you talking about that actually lodges itself to cause a wheel lock?
Here, instead of plowing the roads, they put down a sand/salt mix. This mixes with the snow and turns it into the consistency of ...... I guess the best description would be ....... you know when you make pie, and you mix the lard in with the flour and mix it together until it gets to a nice consistency so you can add the water. That's about the consistency of the snow/sand/salt mix on the ground.

Then ... we get chinooks so the temperature fluxuates a lot so the snow/sand/salt mix melts a bit and freezes a bit etc. and some of it becomes very clumpy and sticky.

It is a mess! I wish they'd just plow the roads.

EDIT: I should also add that my fenders run very, very close to my tires so it is easy for things to get caught. My tires are forever picking up tiny little stones and running them through the fender making a horrible scratching sound.

Last edited by Machka; 02-02-09 at 10:18 PM.