Old 02-02-09, 10:29 AM
jcook1989

Bikes: Norco Rampage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirtigersalot
if you run a 1x9 (or 1x8) you need a bash to keep the chain from falling off the outside and a chain guide/watcher or w/e to keep it from falling off the inside, otherwise you have to use a front derail with the limit screws locking it where you want it. So you should prolly get somthin that is able to take a bash ring. If you run it ss it doesn't matter but if you wanna be able to change later w/o spending as much... besides bash rings are great anyway. I think the stylo mentioned above comes with a bash in the ss version, the fsa v drive ss seems nice if you wanna spend a little more. I think most mtb ss cranks come with a bash nowadays
You don't always need a a chain guide running a single front ring. I think hard tails tend to need them even less often then a full suspension bike. I ran my hardtail with a single front ring and a bash for a while and never lost a chain. Just ride the bike and if you have issues with chain dropping then get a guide instead of spending the money even though you might really need the guide.