Old 02-02-09, 02:18 PM
sirtigersalot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcook1989
You don't always need a a chain guide running a single front ring. I think hard tails tend to need them even less often then a full suspension bike. I ran my hardtail with a single front ring and a bash for a while and never lost a chain. Just ride the bike and if you have issues with chain dropping then get a guide instead of spending the money even though you might really need the guide.
your better off safe than sorry, i run my cx bike 1x9 and the chain is tensioned properly but i do need the guide, and mtn biking i've dropped the chain completely from the big ring (middle cause bash) the limits are correct besides it wasn't in the little ring, it was just a really bumpy downhill, and thats the key yes while you are peddling you won't drop the chain, but when you have a bumpy downhill that you have to coast down (yes yes pedal more and all that but face it there are times when you coast so shut up all you "i never coast" people if you never coast you need to ride somthin harder) its just a matter of time befor you throw your chain, then u'll be wishing u spent the xtra 12 bucks and thats the thing its only 12 bucks. but w/e if it works for you then by all means