View Single Post
Old 02-02-09, 04:15 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by deweyhtucker
I don't spin in the 50/12 combo, but have done 2 & 3 minute intervals at 100 rpm in the 50/14. It's a killer to me. Normal warm up spin at 100 rpm is in the 34/18, then do different intervals in shifting to 50 ring, then drop back to 34 and upping to 16 cog, back up to 50, then drop back to 34 and upping to 14 cog, and back up to 50 ring. Then working back down to finally getting back to 34/18. This is an hour work out. My son dreams up all this torture.
Until I get back out on the road, I'm going to leave everything the way I've got it.
If I need more HI end for the down slops, then I'll switch the 12T with an 11T.
I was just wanting to check with you about the possibility of going bigger on the ring.
Thanks for all the good input.
Is your son trying to "get even" with you for something?

I think it's a good idea to do some actual riding to see how things work out. I'm guilty of doing all my gear calculations on a spread sheet to see "what if". It's easy to get so carried away, that when you actually implement it, you end up wondering "what was I thinking"!
The good part is that you get so adept at customizing your cogs, it's a quick job to change to some other combination.

I'm not a big fan of swapping the chain rings, since that entails moving/readjusting the FDER to do do ir "right". Plus, I don't like putting a new "kink" in the FDER cable each time.
It's much simpler to do the rear, IMO.