Old 02-02-09, 04:44 PM
fuzzthebee
bzzzz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteSalsa
First some background; I'm 51 and have raced at the Masters/Cat 5 level for the past 10 years. I've never been much better than a pack finisher.

This year I'd like to do a little better. My goal over winter is to see a 10% to 25% improvement in my power output, specifically for the 5 and 20 minute efforts.

I'm an Aussie, stuck in Canada so since November it's been bolted to a fluid trainer in the basement. In order to keep up my motivation, and to delay the onset of insanity, I've been restricting my sessions to between 45 and 60 minutes. I read that it's OK to use a shorter time period if you really use the time well and concentrate on intensity.

Anyway, I schedule 2 hard days followed by one rest day. Some examples of a hard day would be a) weights - stepups and lunges or b) 1 minute all out intervals X 8 or c) 5 min efforts X 5 or d) 20 min efforts X 2.

My question is this; after some small initial gains, I've plateau'd. In your opinions, am I doing too much, or too little.

Thanks
Too little. You should aim to do 8-10 hours per week on the trainer, with 1 or 2 days off. Keep in mind that 2 hours at just 70-75% of your FTP gives a TSS (training stress score) about equal to 1 hour at FTP. That means you can afford to mix it up with respect to intensity and duration. If you follow a 2 day L4 block with a 2 hour day at 72% FTP it will feel like a cakewalk. This will help to delay the onset of insanity on the trainer, while still building training load. Or try 90' at 80-85% of your FTP.

Add these types of rides, along with your hard rides and cut the weights down to once a week. I have been combining 2 x 30' sessions at about 90% FTP with weight workouts, but I will cut back on this once I get back outside. I'm stuck on the trainer in Canada as well.