Old 02-03-09, 06:54 PM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
I support mandatory helmet laws because of higher costs. Many folks who get hurt can't afford the medical bills so they get care at our local county hospital which drivers up the costs to those who do pay. County tax payers also chip in which raises my sales and property taxes.

When the motor cycle idiots (I've about 80,000 miles on m cycles) demonstrated and got the helmet law repealed, the death/injury rate from head injuries skyrocketed.

They often leave dependants as well which sometimes requires state aid with the loss of a wage earner.

Al
Ignoring the fact that your logic allows intrusion into any part of your personal life on the basis of cost -- "Yes officer, I am wearing a condom, no officer, that's not whole fat milk in my refrigerator" -- there doesn't seem to be any evidence that helmet laws result in reduced taxes or insurance rates. We get the occasional nebulous "Head injuries cost $____ per year while widespread helmet use reduces head injuries by _____ percent" business, but if any of that supposed savings is making it into the taxpayers pocket, we have yet to see proof of it.

Last edited by Six jours; 02-03-09 at 07:01 PM.