Old 02-03-09, 08:49 PM
FoldsinHalf
Not-quite-geezer RVer

Bikes: 2013 Ibis Mojo HDR 650B; 2008 Dahon Jetstream XP; 2003 KHS F20 Westwood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't speak for the Salt Lake area, but I can say that Moab is in beautiful riding shape this week. Now, I reckon you're more interested in road riding than mountain biking, but hey, figured I'd throw out the idea... after flying halfway around the world, a mere 3 hours in the car to ride in mecca might be worth it?

This afternoon on the Slickrock Trail... (would love to see you tackle it on the 16-inch Birdy, heh! Look tempting?)

Of course in addition to all the famous MTB trails, there's also Arches National Park here, one of the most beautiful and amazing places on earth. Riding on the paved scenic drive is allowed, and this time of year there's hardly any car traffic to battle so it would be a relatively pleasant and safe ride. About 45 miles out-and-back. Here's one link to get you started.

If Moab is too far, and the ride you found in the mountains around Provo proves too snowy or such, another possibly interesting area to explore I can suggest is a bit north of SLC--around the Golden Spike National (railroad) Monument. Debbie and I did a little easy dirt road riding on our KHS folders to see the nearby Spiral Jetty, a pretty wild earthen artwork in the Great Salt Lake. The roads around the railroad park would make a decent road ride though I'd think, with some interesting/historic stuff to stop and learn about along the way.

Anyway, hope you have a good trip to this part of our country, and get lucky with the weather and get in some good riding. (I also hope you don't end up in Dallas... I can say that since I'm a Texan! )