octiceps
Just Gettin' Started

Bikes: '08 Forge CTS 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did I buy the right sized road bike?

Hello to everybody at Bike Forums. This is my first post on the forums. I'm a newbie, as you can probably tell from the stupid question in my title. Anyways, a little about me. I'm a high school student in Northern California. I run cross country and track at my school. I injured the articulate cartilage and ACL in my left knee last November and just had surgery. It's still going to be a couple months before I get the go-ahead to run again, so meantime I'm doing some cycling and strength training. I didn't want to be stuck in a gym riding a stationary bike and getting bored to death, so I saved up some money and pulled the trigger on the Forge CTS 1000 road bike from Target.com. It's gotten good reviews and seems to be the best bang for the buck for my budget (~$400).
However, I did all this without any knowledge of correct frame sizing, so I don't know if the bike fits me correctly or not. As of right now, everything feels comfortable, but I'd like people's opinions about this. I am about 5'5'' with an inseam of 74 cm. The bike is advertised as fitting most from 5'6'' to 5'10'', but using Lemond's formula for seat tube length, I would fit a bike with a 50 cm seat tube C-T. The bike is exactly 50 cm C-T. It is also compact geometry and has a very slanted top tube. Here are the specs:

50 cm seat tube C-T
45 cm seat tube C-C
52 cm from bottom bracket to where effective top tube and seat tube meet
54 cm top tube C-C along the tube
55.25 cm effective top tube
170 mm crank arms

I have set the top of the saddle at 65.342 cm from the bottom bracket along the seat tube, as per Lemond's formula for saddle height. There's about 4 in. of seat post showing. The stem has been flipped down and all spacers have been moved from below to above it.

So, does this bike fit me properly?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_7773 3.jpg (97.4 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_7780.jpg (93.9 KB, 105 views)