Old 01-09-05, 06:11 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bacco
I developed afib at Bike Florida 2002. I was cured of it only eight months later. I went to the Cleveland Clinic for a pulmonary vein isolation (PVI) ablation by Dr. Natale. I spent one night in the hospital and the recuperation time was just a few days. Nowadays, I don't have to take any drugs or worry about taking blood thinners. Most cardiologists will not recommend or even tell you about the various cures for afib. They are not up-to-date or don't want to lose a patient. If afib doesn't affect your quality of life, then live with it if you like, but for me, I didn't want to take drugs or be slowed down by afib. Also, afib is probably one of the biggest contributors to strokes.

There are only a few doctors in the US that have a high success rate in curing afib (80-97% cure rates). Find one of them if you want to be cured; otherwise, you will likely be disappointed. I am happy to have my life back. I am 59 years old and ride centuries, etc., and feel great nowadays. Below are some good websites to check out if you want more information on afib. Interestingly, long-distance cyclist and marthoners are four times more likely to develop afib. Oh, and by the way, for those of who have afib, you already know it is NOT a benign condition like most cardiologist will tell their patients. In most cases, it becomes emotionally and physically draining, not to mention the risk of stroke. Afib may be a benign condition if you are a coach potato and over 80 years old; otherwise, think about taking the risk to be cured! The Cleveland Clinic is one of the very best places to go to be evaluated, treated, and cured. They have a great Atrial Fibrillation Center and do maze surgery or ablations on four or five patients per day with very few failures or problems each month.

http://www.clevelandclinic.org/heart...on/default.htm

Go to the following board to talk to others with afib or who have been cured of it. It hasn't been real active lately, but search the archives for tons of info about other people's experiences:
http://www.mddietofutah.com/maze/index.html

This is a website with some good general info on afib:
http://www.a-fib.com/

Whatever you do, be sure to read all you can about afib before making any decisions on how to treat or cure it. If you go for a maze or ablation, only go with a doctor who will give you detailed statistics on the numbers and results of previous procedures he has performed using exactly the same techique he will you on you! (FYI: I haven't read good things about cryo-ablations). Note: a doctor who does one or two procedures a day is far better than one who only does one a week. Lots of doctors occasionally do ablations - avoid them! Likewise, with the maze.

I hope this helps some of you with afib. I meet people at every big bicycling event I go to that are suffering needlessly with afib. I am thankful to be rid of it.
Very informative! I have saved this post if I need it in the future. So far, I have just had one instance - about 11 days ago. I hope that it was my first and last.