View Single Post
Old 02-08-09, 01:56 PM
acrafton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think many bike shops are in for trouble. . .sad, but I often wonder about their business model. I recently went in to my LBS to look for some PI bib shorts (microsensor 3d) that retail for $149. I knew I could get them at Performance for 124.99 less the 20% special they were running for a total price $95.97 each but would prefer to buy them locally. This is the store that I have bought six bikes at in the last 4 years - me, wife, kids. For me and the wife they were high end expensive bikes (2 each). I have also bought parts, helmets, etc...

So I am looking and the manager comes out who I know. I told him I need 3 pair and what can he do on price and/or when will they go on sale? His answer - that is the price and I don't know when they will go on sale. I ask if he can knock of a bit so I can get them here - nope. After a few minutes I leave and go home and order 3 pair from Performance saving myself $54 per pair.

I don't get it. I am a good long term customer, have bought thousands of dollars with of bikes, parts, gear and willing to pay over Performance - I wasn't asking him to match Performance just drop a little or let me know when the next sale would be but there was no give. Had he dropped the price $20 a pair I would have bought them but I cannot justify paying $54 MORE per pair.

In today's economy $54/pair is real money and I don't believe that at $20 off per pair they weren't still making money.