Old 02-08-09, 03:51 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acrafton
I think many bike shops are in for trouble. . .sad, but I often wonder about their business model. I recently went in to my LBS to look for some PI bib shorts (microsensor 3d) that retail for $149. I knew I could get them at Performance for 124.99 less the 20% special they were running for a total price $95.97 each but would prefer to buy them locally. This is the store that I have bought six bikes at in the last 4 years - me, wife, kids. For me and the wife they were high end expensive bikes (2 each). I have also bought parts, helmets, etc...

So I am looking and the manager comes out who I know. I told him I need 3 pair and what can he do on price and/or when will they go on sale? His answer - that is the price and I don't know when they will go on sale. I ask if he can knock of a bit so I can get them here - nope. After a few minutes I leave and go home and order 3 pair from Performance saving myself $54 per pair.

I don't get it. I am a good long term customer, have bought thousands of dollars with of bikes, parts, gear and willing to pay over Performance - I wasn't asking him to match Performance just drop a little or let me know when the next sale would be but there was no give. Had he dropped the price $20 a pair I would have bought them but I cannot justify paying $54 MORE per pair.

In today's economy $54/pair is real money and I don't believe that at $20 off per pair they weren't still making money.

Do you haggle when you go into Foot Locker at the mall? How about when you buy your dress shirts?

Maybe they just don't want to be in the business of haggling every sale on every item they have. I know I certainly wouldn't.