Old 02-09-09, 04:51 PM
red sox junkie
lurking. . . lurking. . .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brevet bike - Decisions, Decisons

I am going to try to complete a super randonee series this year and wanted to see what everyone's opionion is on which bike I should use. I would like to use the same bike for all of the events so I don't have any issues with switching. In the past I have experienced ITB issues when I have made a change and put a lot of miles on a different bike. Here are the choices:

-Full carbon Pedal Force RS2 with SRAM Rival components. Roughly 17 lbs.
-Scattante XRL Cross frame (Aluminum) with mostly Ultegra. Plenty of room for fenders, even with 35mm knobbies! This bike has a comfortable Brooks b17 saddle. Roughly 22 lbs.
-1983 Trek 500 (steel). It has upgraded componentry, mostly Ultegra, Brooks b17 saddle as well. Plenty of room for fenders and wider tires. 501 Reynolds lugged frameset. Roughly 27 lbs.

All bikes fit me very well. The RS2 has a little more saddle to bar drop but not substantial. I have ridden this bike on centuries before without any issues. I worry about this one on the longer (400 and 600) rides as it still is a little more aggressive than the other two. The Scattante and Trek are my commuters/dirt road bikes with very similar angles and saddle to bar drop. I have done a few centuries on the Scattante and I had no issues. The trek is HEAVY. The series in my area are quite hilly and I worry about using the bike on extended climbs. Does 5 lbs matter?

Which bike would you ride?