View Single Post
Old 02-11-09, 02:02 PM
red sox junkie
lurking. . . lurking. . .

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going to be joining DC Randonneurs and trying to complete their sr series. I'm really looking forward to it!

The weight of the Trek was the "curb" weight (computer, bottle cages, fenders, pedals etc.). I have a heavy saddle and wheelset so that doesn't help. It is also a pretty large frame (61 cm) so depending on the size of your 400, that may be a difference.

The frame/fork/headset on the scattante is about 2400 gm. I haven't weighed the trek stripped down like that, but according to a reynolds brouchure from the mid '80's,(http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/rey...80brochure.htm) I could expect the tubeset to weigh 2400 gm alone. Plus the headset, brakes and stem would weigh more than the scattante.

I have flipped the stem since I took this picture so the handlebars are closer to the level of the saddle, but still not even. This seems to be a pretty comfortable setup as I have pretty long arms. You make a good point about raising the stem during a ride, the threadless stem doesn't give me that flexibility.

Have you completed this series before? Any advise would be appreciated!