View Single Post
Old 02-11-09, 11:50 PM
wcoastbikr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AkAk2000
I would take Paseo de la Playa instead of PV Blvd to get to the PV peninsula. It's more of a steep hill (but it sounds like you're not looking to avoid those), but is a much safer street than PV Blvd on that stretch. PV in that stretch has no shoulder, crappy pavement, and buzzing vehicles.

Also, I would do the short detour on Paseo del Mar off of PV West (the 2nd P del Mar, not the first one when you just get on the peninsula. Great views, and can blow through the few stop signs, whereas that is not recommended on PV West.

Also, I disagree with wcoastbikr -- counterclockwise is the safer way to climb the hill (the switchbacks). The other way, going up from PV Drive East, there is no, or less, of a rideable shoulder, there are a few blind corners where soccer moms will buzz you too closely, and the pavement is iffier. Sometimes when the wind is right, that way gives much less headwinds, but you definitely trade off safety. I always climb much faster that way, but mainly out of fear.

On the way back, a brief detour up Westvale/Sunnyridge off of PV Drive East will yield one of the steepest roads you'll ever encounter (as is the shorter Ganado off of the switchbacks.)
I completely overlooked that part with PV blvd. Definitely take Paseo De La Playa, stay off of Palos Verdes Blvd until you get to the top of that street. The 2006(?) TOC took that road up and around, it's much safer but a little steeper than PV Blvd. As for Paseo Del Mar, I wouldn't bother. If you're not familiar with the area you might get lost. It is a little safer, and a little less traffic but I take PV Dr. West all the way skipping that, plus the shoulders have plenty of space imho. I'll take Paseo Del Mar in larger group ride because well...they're large and I'm usually sitting in the back following. lol

As for heading South on PV Dr. E, I agree that it is a little narrower and the streets aren't as nice but I still feel it's plenty safe. I've been up that way countless times and on my hill repeat days PV Dr. E both the front and back side is what I do. The reason I mentioned it was because it is much easier imho going up that way than it is going up the switchbacks. But since he said he likes climbing definitely take the switch backs up. I'm in Torrance so I'm coming from the North side of the hill and that's actually the road I take up to go riding through PV.