View Single Post
Old 02-12-09, 12:29 PM
JTGraphics

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
We're going to do a couple of time trials on the tandem for the first time this year; the State TT championship in May, and the Co-Motion Classic Tandem Race has a stage that's a time trial.

So are there things unique to Tandems that we should consider with regard to preperation, equipment, training?

With regard to equipment, we'll use clip on aero bars for the captain. For the stoker, I'm thinking we'll just go with the bullhorns that are already on the bike, perhaps lowered. Although I'm interested in the "drop in" bars pictured below.

For wheels, I think we'll use a HED3 front which I already have. Anyone else using this on a tandem (our team weight is around 340lbs.)

For the rear we'll probably just stay with the Rolf Prima. I have a HED disc. Does anyone know if you can swithc out the axle on the HED to get to 145mm spacing. (the bike in the pic below I'm pretty sure has 130mm spacing.)

I also thought about building up a Zipp 808 clydesdale rim with a Tandem hub. However, Zipp strongly recommends against this on the basis that the wider spacing results in the spokes pulling at an angle that will crack the rim. Also, I'm too cheap to spend the money for a couple of events.

Time Trial helmets. Data suggests that a TT helmet is one of the biggest energy savers you can buy. I already have one, but my stoker doesn't. Any thoughts on how important a TT helmet is for the stoker.

As for the race itself. Any thoughts on teamwork, and pacing unique to tandeming? Given that pacing off Power is not an option, our plan is to each gauge our effort off of our indivual HRM's

No experience but sounds like your going to have a great time at it!
One thought that came to mind with the heart rate was also let the captain see the strokers HR so you can gage how the stoker is doing while riding so you can shift for cadence and keep HR's in a good Performance range.