View Single Post
Old 02-12-09, 11:34 PM
yeamac 
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think the MS Society will let you "drop out". You can pay your minimum donation and not ride, but if you don't pay the minimum donation, I believe they prohibit you from riding in any future events.
From what I remember, that is incorrect. Only if you pick up your packet as if you are riding and THEN don't turn in the minimum donation are you barred from future events. If you don't ever pick up your packet to begin with, then nor harm, no foul. At least that is what I remember from the past (had a friend who couldn't ride 2 years ago).

As far as transferring to another rider, that is strictly prohibited. Not to say it doesn't happen, but the only downside for Dr. Nate is if the person he sells/gives his number to doesn't raise the minimum $400, then he is held accountable (Dr. Nate's already paid $100 to register for the ride). And the contact info for each rider is attached to the number, which is why it should not be transferred. But as long as the new rider fills out the back of the rider number with their correct name and medical info, then I would think they would be better off in a crash. From what I understand, in a crash, unconscious situation, they read the back of the rider number first before researching who the number belongs to. But the odds of a cyclist crashing and being unconscious and needing to go off the rider number for medical info is very slim.